Meatballs & Pasta
A great source of carbohydrates to fuel exercise performance, protein for recovery and maintenance of muscle mass as well as micronutrients such as iron and vitamin B12. Red meat is a great source of iron and B vitamins. B vitamins are important in the metabolism of carbohydrates, fats and protein. Deficiency of some B vitamins can result in a faster onset of fatigue in exercise and make it difficult or even impossible to maintain a high level of training.
This recipe is high in protein and iron. Inadequate intakes of protein can result in loss of lean muscle mass, increased injury risk and negatively affect calcium absorption and bone mineral density. Athletes, particularly female athletes, require more iron than the non-athletic adult. Low iron intakes can lead to iron deficient anaemia and symptoms such as weakness, fatigue, decreased performance, headaches, increased heart rate & shortness of breath - all of which can negatively affect exercise performance.
Store in an airtight container in the fridge and enjoy for lunch or dinner over the next few days.
Great for high intensity training days to support performance and recovery.
- 1 Large pan
- 1 Large Bowl
- 1 Medium sized pot
- 1 Casserole dish
- 2 tbsp Rapeseed oil
- 2 Onions (chopped)
- 2 cloves Garlic (chopped)
- 500 g Lean beef mince
- 2 Red bell peppers (chopped)
- 1 tsp Smoked paprika
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1 tbsp Honey
- 1 tbsp Tomato puree
- 2 tbsp Tomato relish
- 1 tin Plum tomatoes (chopped)
- 300 g Pasta (uncooked_
- Preheat the oven to 180℃.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil on a pan.
- Add the onions, peppers and garlic and cook for 5-7 minutes on a medium heat until soft.
- Meanwhile, add the mince to the bowl.
- Mix in the paprika, oregano, tomato puree, honey & Worchester sauce.
- Mix well and form meatballs using your hands.
- Remove the onions & peppers from the pan and place into a casserole dish with the plum tomatoes, tomato relish and a pinch of salt.
- Drizzle a tbsp oil to the pan. Place the meatballs on the pan and cook for 5-7 minutes until brown on each side.
- Place the meatballs in the casserole dish, spoon the sauce over them and cook in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile add the pasta to boiling water and cook for 10-12 minutes. Drain the water when cooked.
- Remove the meatballs from the oven, stir in the pasta and cook for a further 5-10 minutes. Add cheese at this stage if desired.