Sweet & Spicy Summer Salad
This recipe is great for days when energy and carbohydrate needs are lower.
Sweet Potatoes are high in fibre, which helps maintain a healthy gut. They also are high in beta-carotene (Vitamin A) and Vitamin C, 2 antioxidants that promote good immune function.
Increase the protein content of this meal by adding meat/meat alternatives (e.g., chicken, mince, quorn, tofu).
- 1 Roasting tray
- 1 Mixing bowl
- 1 Small saucepan
- 1 Knife
- 1 Chopping board
- 1 Sweet Potato (large)
- 1/2 can Chickpeas (drained)
- 125 g Mixed salad leaves
- 1 Pepper
- 2 tbsp Honey
- 40 ml Apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp Low-sodium Soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Hot-chili paste
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 1/2 Lime (juice)
- Cut the sweet potato and peppers into bite-sized chunks.
- Combine honey, vinegar, soy sauce and chili paste in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer on a medium heat and cook, stirring occasionally until it has slightly thickened (just shy of syrupy!) for approx. 5-7 minutes.
- Toss the sweet potato and peppers with olive oil in a large baking dish, then brush with the glaze. Reserve any leftover glaze.
- Roast in the oven for approx. 20 minutes, until the edges start to char.
- Once roasted, transfer sweet potato and peppers to a bowl and mix with the drained chickpeas.
- Squeeze lime juice into the bowl, season with salt and toss to combine.
- Serve on a bed of mixed lettuce leaves.
- Drizzle any leftover glaze over the salad and enjoy!