This is a great recipe to enjoy on an exercise day or even on competition day when carbohydrate requirements are high. The carbohydrates are primarily coming from the noodles, with a smaller amount from the honey, ketchup and vegetables. Read more here - fuel-up and recovery in team sport. The chicken provides a great source of high-quality protein.
Carbohydrates are also hugely important for muscle building - learn more here.
The vegetables in the Pad Thai will provide you with a good amount of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. A diet rich in vegetables has been shown to have positive effects on our blood pressure, heart health, brain function and digestion. As well as this, they provide us with important nutrients to support our immune system - something we all want at this time of year!
This recipe works well with chicken also. Use tofu instead for a vegetarian option.
- Large pan
- Medium pot
- 180 g Rice noodles
- 1 ½ tbsp Rapeseed oil
- 300 g Prawns (refrigerated)
- 2 Garlic cloves (crushed)
- 3 Eggs
- 400 g Stir fry vegetables
- 30 g Peanuts
- 2 Limes
- 1 handful Fresh Coriander (chopped)
- 2 Scallions (chopped)
- 2 tbsp Thai fish sauce
- 3 tbsp Soy sauce
- 2 tbsp Honey
- 1 tbsp Tomato ketchup
- 2 tbsp Peanut butter
- ½ tsp Cayenne pepper
- Heat a tbsp of oil on a large pan.
- Add the garlic and vegetables to the pan. Cook on a medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring often.
- After 5 minutes, add the prawns to the pan and cook for 8-10 minutes (or as per packet instructions).
- Meanwhile, cook the noodles in boiled water, as per packet instructions. When cooked, rinse with cold water, drain and set aside.
- Mix the ingredients for the sauce together.
- Remove the prawns and vegetables from the pan and set aside.
- Crack the eggs into a bowl and mix well.
- Pour half a teaspoon of oil onto the pan. Add the eggs to the pan over a low-medium heat and mix for approx 1 minute, until lightly scrambled.
- Add the noodles, vegetables and sauce to the pan and mix well to fully coat the noodles in the sauce.
- Leave to cook on a medium heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Mix in some of the scallions, coriander and peanuts (leave the rest to serve on top).
- Serve up with lime wedges and the remaining scallions, coriander and peanuts on top.