Protein is an essential part of every cell in the body, it is needed to build and repair tissues, support the immune system, produce hormones and transport nutrients. Inadequate intakes of protein can result in loss of lean muscle mass, increased injury risk and negatively affect calcium absorption and bone mineral density.
The cacao in good quality dark chocolate contains a good source of flavanols and procyanidins which are major classes of antioxidants. The health benefits of these antioxidants include helping to protect the body’s cells from the damaging effects of inflammation and free radicals. Excessive inflammation and free radical production have been linked with a number of lifestyle-related chronic diseases.
Suitable for gluten free diets.
For a vegan friendly recipe, swap the whey to plant based protein powder, honey to maple syrup and use dairy free dark chocolate.
- Large Bowl
- Parchment paper
- 100 g Dark chocolate
- 3 tbsp Peanut butter
- 1 tbsp Honey
- 3 scoops Whey protein powder
- 3 tbsp Desiccated coconut
- 30 g Oats
- Melt the dark chocolate in the microwave.
- Mix in the peanut butter and honey.
- Next add the protein powder, coconut and oats. Mix well to fully combine.
- Dampen your hands and use your hands to form the protein balls.
- Place on a tray or plate lined with parchment paper and leave in the fridge to set.